Almost a mirror image of its counterpart Claylick, Little Claylick was located on Ohio 668 at the fork between Brownsville Road and Cooks Hill Road. Little Claylick was formed by a group of workers who were building the National Road (Route 40) in the 1820s. They decided to buy some land and settle down. The town quickly became prosperous thanks to the cannel coal that was found in Hopewell Township. People were drawn to the area following the rise of the Bradford-Pollack Mining Company in the 1870s. A post office was established in Little Claylick on May 7, 1878. The post office only lasted for 5 years; it closed in 1883.
M.J. & C.S.
- Dan Fleming, “There’s Claylick, and Then There’s Little Claylick,” The Advocate, March 23, 2008.