Welsh Hills is a region lying north of Granville, Ohio, between Granville and Newark. It was established in 1801 by Thomas Phillipps and Theophilus Rees, who immigrated from Carmarthenshire, Wales. The two men purchased a few thousand acres of land which became known as the Welsh Hills. In 1808, a Baptist church was established in the middle of what is now known as the Welsh Hills Cemetery. The oldest legible stone in the graveyard belongs to Theophilus Rees, who was buried there in 1814. 
- Cathy Dinardi Reagan, “New Book Documents Lost Towns of Licking County,” The Advocate, October 31, 1998.