Thomas J. Evans
Thomas J. Evans was an entrepreneur, pharmacist and philanthropist who resided in Newark, Ohio. He was well known for being instrumental in the creation of various Newark landmarks.
Thomas J. Evans was born February 6, 1874. His father was a minister in southeastern Ohio. At age 13, Evans left home for Columbus, Ohio where he acquired his first job working in a drugstore. Later he would attend the School of Pharmacy of Ohio Normal University (now Ohio Northern). He graduated in 1894 at the age of 20 and moved to Newark, Ohio.
According to Attorney J. Gilbert Reese, Evans moved to the area with no money; however he would soon enjoy a “prosperous career as a pharmacist” as well as a director at Park National Bank, and an employee of the Newark Telephone Company. He died in March 1967 at the age of 93.
Evans was responsible for starting the Newark Hospital in the East End, the Licking Memorial Hospital, and funded land for Ohio State University-Newark. In 1965 Evans established the Thomas J. Evans’s Foundation. The foundation established $1 million trust which increased to $1.5 million after Evans death.
The foundation is responsible for supporting the renovation of the Licking County Historical Society Buckingham House. Other projects include the Johnstown bikeway, the J. Seward Johnson Jr sculpture, land for the T.J. Evans Park and Wildwood Park, Little League Park, track and field facility for Newark schools, outdoor basketball courts at Newark High School , LEADS land and facilities, and contributions to the Salvation Army. 
- Dawn Pettit-West, “Thomas J. Evans Leaves a Legacy to Licking County,” The Granville Booster, September 27, 1993.