The primary synagogue in Licking County is the Ohev Israel Temple which was built in 1950 at the corner of Woods Avenue and Selby Street. The Temple serves as the headquarters for the local chapter of the B'Nai B'rith organizaton. The Ohev Israel Congregation organized in 1907.  The first Jewish families arrived in the Newark area in 1898. 
- Ohev Israel Temple 
- Ohev Israel Temple. (1960). The Newark Advocate.
- Ohev Israel Temple Celebrates Rededication. (1984, May 17). The Licking Countian.
- Folder Synagogues, Local History Vertical File, Licking County Library, Newark, Ohio.