Pharis Tire and Rubber Company
The Pharis Tire and Rubber Company was founded by the Pharis family in 1906, and was located in the former Simpson Soap Factory at 325 West Main Street in Newark. The plant was responsible for producing bike and vehicle tires for large brand names such as Firestone and U.S. Royal, as well as its own Pharis label. During the plant's heyday, Pharis Tire and Rubber Company employed 1,400 people.
During World War II, Pharis Tire and Rubber Company suffered, like many others, from a shortage of employees. As a result, many women became employed at the factory and worked mostly in the bike department. The plant had so many employees during that time that one interviewee stated, "everybody in town knew someone who worked at Pharis." 
Pharis Tire and Rubber Company closed its doors in 1948 due to a labor-management dispute. Many of the 1,300 employees were taken in by other companies, such as Kaiser Aluminum and the Westinghouse Electric Corporation. The closing of this plant was seen as a very bad setback for Licking County.
- Larry Fugate, "Plant Employed 1,400 During Its Heyday," The Advocate, November 8, 1992.
- Fugate, "Plant Employed 1,400 During Its Heyday."
- Ernest Leogrande, "Newark Still Shows Traces of Past Importance," Citizen State, July 15, 1951.