The Pataskala Standard had been locally owned for 110 years, until the business was sold to Thomson Newspapers, one of the largest communications empires, in 1996. The last local owners were Tom and Margaret Caw. Tom Caw had worked as the editor and publisher of the paper until 1955 when he became half-owner. In 1971, he bought the other half of the company, taking full ownership. The paper was originally founded in 1886 by Congressman William Ashbrook and A.Q. Beem, who were also publishers of the Johnstown Independent. 
- “Thomson Newspapers Buys ‘Pataskala Standard’,” Columbus Dispatch, November 15, 1996.
- “Caw Family Sells Pataskala Weekly to Advocate’s Owners,” The Advocate, November 13, 1996.