Lockport was established in 1830 by two settlers, James Holmes and C.W. Searle. The town was located a half mile west of Newark and was separated from it by Raccoon Creek. The businesses located in Lockport created rivalry with those located in Newark. Today, the area that used to be Lockport is home to businesses such as Dan's Family Pizza, Tony's Bar, and McDonald's.
- Brandt G. Smythe, Early Recollections of Newark (Newark, OH: Thos. E. Hite Publications, 1940).