Hayesburg was a settlement that was originally located north of Newark, but is now located within the city. Hayesburg’s central point was the intersection of North Fourth Street, now known as Mount Vernon Road, and Elmwood Avenue. The area was also referred to as Whittle Point, which is where the Triangle Bar is located today. At the time, the northern boundary of Newark was Locust Street. The town was named for two families, both named Hayes, who settled in the area. A tavern located in the town catered to an independent cavalry company that served in the Mexican War in 1847.
- Brandt G. Smythe, Early Recollections of Newark, (Newark, OH: Thos. E. Hite Publications, 1940).