Green Tavern sat on the site of the first hotel in Newark, the spot where Black’s Tavern had been established in 1802 and where, today, a Wendy's restaurant can be found. When Green Tavern was built, the log cabin that housed Black’s Tavern was demolished and the land was leveled. A brick building was built in its place and pained bright green, hence the name. In the course of Newark’s history, the site of Green Tavern would also be the home to the Hotel Warden and used a temporary site for municipal offices in 1959.
- Hazel Kirk, "Landmark Falls in Path of Progress," The Newark Advocate, March 13, 1959.