In the early 1800s, Dogtown was located on the east side of the Licking River by the North Fork, which is now the east end of Newark. The town was named after a widely-believed story that Dogtown was home to creatures that were half human and half dog. A covered bridge was built connecting Newark to Dogtown in 1837. Unfortunately, the bridge was destroyed by a flood in 1898. Since then, ghost stories have been told of ghosts hovering around the area, along with stories of highwaymen with bludgeons, waiting for their victims. 
- Brandt G. Smythe, Early Recollections of Newark, (Newark, OH: Thos. E. Hite Publications, 1940).