Cherry Valley School
Long before the current Cherry Valley Elementary was built, a one room schoolhouse could be found at that site. There have been three other school buildings there before the current one. Before the previous school was built, a brick one room school sat at the site, near the intersection of West Main Street and South 30th Street in Newark. A former student at the school, O.D. Hollar, recalled in 1953 that a pot-bellied stove sat in the middle of the room with the stove pipe running up the back of the building. At either side of the front entrance was a cloak room. Hollar remembered that the school was surrounded by tall locust trees and that it replaced an earlier frame structure. The old Cherry Valley Schoolhouse ceased to exist in the mid 1920’s when it was replaced by the current elementary school’s predecessor. 
- “An ‘Ancestor’ of New Cherry Valley School,” The Advocate, January 10, 1953.