The village of Chatham is located in Newton Township at the intersection of Marion Road and Preston Road. The village was originally called “Chatter Town” but was renamed Harrisburg when it was officially platted by Colonel John Waggoner in 1829; however, the name did not last long. Chatham gained its first post office on February 8, 1836. The post office only remained open until July of that year. Another post office was opened on April 10, 1837. Chatham retained a post office until August 30, 1902, when mail service was transferred to Vanatta. Throughout the years, Chatham has been home to businesses such as a barber, blacksmiths, a tannery, a tavern, a cabinet shop, and more. Today, it is a residential community. A small Methodist church does still remain.
- Richard M. Helwig, “Chatham,” in Ohio Ghost Towns: No. 44, Licking County, ed. Richard M. Helwig and Richard N. Helwig (Sunbury, OH: The Center for Ghost Town Research in Ohio, 1998), 48.