Brumback School

From Licking County Library's Wiki!
Jump to: navigation, search
 A photo of the Brumback School, located on the grounds of the Dawes Arboretum.
The Brumback School in the early 1900's.
The Brumback School was named after John Brumback, a wealthy blacksmith who put aside the land to be used for a public school. It was built in the mid 1800’s on land that is now part of the Dawes Arboretum, located on Jacksontown Road south of Newark.[1] This little schoolhouse closed its doors in 1920 when its students were incorporated into the Jacksontown school system. After it ceased to be a school, the building was turned into a private residence. It can still be seen on the grounds of the Dawes Arboretum.[2]

M.J. & C.S.


  1. Mark L. Sims, “The Brumback School, and Reminiscences of the Two Who Were There,” The Dawes Arboretum Newsletter, November 1989, 8.
  2. Charles J. Dawes, Ph.D, "The Dawes Arboretum Tree Dedication: Honoring Students and Teachers of the Former Brumback School," The Licking Countian, May 28, 1981.