The village of Boston was established in Hanover Township in 1832 by John Hoyt. Hoyt built a home and a grocery, which did very well. Hoyt's success led to several other homes and buildings being built in the area. Boston was located near the intersection of State Route 146 with Toboso Road and Boston Road. Unfortunately for Boston, the establishment of the railroad, which did not run through Boston, greatly hurt the town's businesses. John Hoyt decided to relocate and open a business in a more ideal location. Hoyt relocated in 1835 to what would later become the village of Hanover, which he also founded, in 1849.
- N.N. Hill, History of Licking County, Ohio, Its Past and Present, (Newark, OH: A.A. Graham & Co., 1881), 462.
- Richard M. and Richard N. Helwig, "Boston," in Ohio Ghost Towns, No. 44, Licking County, ed. Richard N. and Richard M. Helwig, (Sunbury, OH: The Center for Ghost Town Research in Ohio, 1998), 41.
- Hill, History of Licking County, Ohio, 462.