Atherton was located between Jacksontown and Hebron. A 2005 article in The Newark Advocate reported the town to have been located at the intersection of Ridgely Tract Road and the former Buckeye Scenic Railroad, which is now the T.J. Evans Panhandle Trail. However, an 1894 map of Licking County shows Atherton to be at the intersection of Route 40 and the railroad, which is the current location of Lakewood High School. Atherton was a stop on the Baltimore and Ohio spur to Buckeye Lake. A post office was located here from 1884 to 1925. 
- L.B. Whyde, “Towns Of the Past,” The Advocate, October 31, 2005.