From Licking County Library's Wiki!
 The original space was a collection of livery stables, buildings, and storage sheds that Arcade Realty, a “group of distinguished businessmen that include Carl Weiant, F. Kennedy, Charles Spencer, E.T. Rugg…” and Harry and John Swisher purchased and redesigned with architect Carl E. Howell.   Originally, the Arcade was built for twenty-three stores, but at one point, thirty businesses occupied the space. In its early years, the Arcade was known for more than its businesses. It had a beautiful fountain, a theater called the Arcade Theater, and it was rumored to have a speakeasy on the second floor and poker parties in the basement. The fountain and theater are no longer there, but the Arcade still houses local businesses in downtown Newark.
- “Newark Arcade Formally Opened,” The Newark Weekly Advocate, (Newark, OH), June 10, 1909.
- Aumann, Tiffany, “Awaiting the next chapter: The Newark Downtown Center hopes to revive interested in The Arcade,” Newark Advocate, (Newark, OH), November 24, 2008.
- “Newark Arcade was shoppers’ hot spot,” This Week in Licking County, (Newark, OH), March 20, 2005
- Hutson, Arnold, “Arcade: Monument to progress,” The Advocate, (Newark, OH), November 25, 1984.