Difference between revisions of "The Castle"
(Created page with "“The Castle” was the nickname given to a home built by Mayor Gibson Atherton on the northeast corner of North Second Street and East Church Street in downtown Newark in th...")
Revision as of 11:27, 6 May 2019
“The Castle” was the nickname given to a home built by Mayor Gibson Atherton on the northeast corner of North Second Street and East Church Street in downtown Newark in the 1860s. The home was inspired by houses that Atherton’s wife saw in Washington, D.C. The Castle was a turreted home with four stories – the only of its kind in Newark.  It had a kitchen and dining room in the basement, tall windows, and was made of brick and stone. 
Gibson Atherton, the home’s builder, was an early mayor of Newark, serving from 1860-1863. Additionally, Atherton served two terms in the US Congress in 1878 and 1880. 
After the Athertons, The Castle was the home of James Lingafeller. It was also later owned by Claude Davis, Dr. Victor Turner, and finally Cosmo Investors. 
In 1952, the decision was made by its owner, Cosmo Investors, to demolish the nearly-100-year-old structure. A fire had damaged some of the building and the company was in need of a parking lot, so the company opted to demolish the residence. 
The site of The Castle is now a portion of the parking lot of the DoubleTree Hotel in downtown Newark.
- Chalmers Pancoast, Our Home Town Memories, Vol. II (Newark, OH: Chalmers Lowell Pancoast, 1959) 92.
- “Progress Overtakes ‘The Castle,’” The Newark Advocate and American Tribune, February 19, 1952, 20.
- “Annual Benefit Auction to Aid LCAA Operations,” The Newark Advocate, September 10, 1987, 2B.
- “Annual Benefit Auction,” 2B.
- Chalmers Pancoast, “Newark Landmarks Yesterday and Today,” The Newark Advocate, June 26, 1958, 10.
- ”Progress Overtakes ‘The Castle,’” 20.