Stewart Brothers and Alward Company
In operation since 1906, Stewart Brothers and Alward Company was a downtown Newark furniture store located at 21 West Church Street. Stewart Brothers was well known in the Newark area, both for its furniture and for the large building that housed it, known as the Union Block.
The store covered three floors and 30,000 square feet at its West Church Street location including a ballroom that was used for many events over the years. Stewart Brothers was a family business. Opened by Peter, Robert, Charles, and Kate Stewart in 1906, they then opened another store in Lancaster in 1923. The business was passed down through the family to Walter Brown, a family descendent, who closed the Newark store in 1992. 
- J. Bell, “Downtown Landmark to Close Its Doors,” The Newark Advocate, July 2, 1992.