Amsterdam is located in Bowling Green Township along US 40 between Panhandle Road and Fairmount Road. The town was laid out in 1848 by Abraham Boring and George Barnes. Amsterdam has remained an entirely residential community, boasting only a few houses.</ref>Richard M. Helwig, “Amsterdam,” in Ohio Ghost Towns: No. 44, Licking County, ed. Richard M. Helwig and Richard N. Helwig (Sunbury, OH: The Center for Ghost Town Research in Ohio, 1998), 26.</ref> The small village is home to Linnwood Baptist Church and is very close to the historic Fairmount Church.