A.A. Bancroft House
The A.A. Bancroft House, built by Ashley Azariah Bancroft in 1834  of stone quarried from the hillside behind the house.  The house is located at 555 North Pearl Street in Granville. Bancroft was an abolitionist and hosted the first convention of the Ohio Anti-Slavery Society in the barn on his property in 1836.  The home was noted as being a stop on the Underground Railroad. Bancroft’s son, Hubert Howe Bancroft, wrote one of the few firsthand accounts of slave traffic on the Underground Railroad based on his boyhood memories of growing up in the home. 
The Bancroft House was purchased by Denison University in 1917 and used as a staff residence until 1997, when it became a student residence. The A.A. Bancroft House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 28, 1980.
- “Historic Homes of Granville Ohio: Compiled for the Granville Bicentennial 1805-2005” (Granville Bicentennial historic tour, Granville, Ohio, 2005), 57.
- Susan Parker Geier, “Bancroft: A Vivid Account of Underground Railroad,” The Advocate, February 6, 2000, 1A.
- “Historic Homes of Granville,” 57.
- Geier, “Bancroft,” 1A.