From Licking County Library's Wiki!
Revision as of 06:19, 24 August 2017 by LCL
- 1860 First ice cream wagon in Newark.
- 1860 David Wyrick discovers the Holy Stones
- 1861 Great Circle Mound was the training ground for Civil War soldiers. It was called Camp Sherman and was used as a rendezvous point for the 76th Regiment of the Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
- 1861 A school for blacks was built on Hoover Street.
- 1865 The Sultana, a steamship used during the Civil War, exploded north of Memphis, Tennessee, on April 27, 1865, killing 6 Licking County men.
- 1865 First National Bank is founded.
- 1867 The Licking County Pioneer, Historical, and Antiquarian Society is founded
- 1868 Adam Kiesel burns Jones Block.